Home » News » PRLS FINAL Project

PRLS FINAL Project

WHAT I HAVE LEARNED IN THIS COURSE

This is a screenshot conversation between my partner and I while we working on our group blog posts together.

La Guera, Cherrie Moraga

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1NGFhjUfh4W_SWu93ELl_VSGAkKOZk7UI/view?usp=sharing

Kimberle

Kimberle”, by Achy Obeja

I put together a playlist of these songs that relate to multiple emotions Kimberle feels as she is having suicidal thoughts. Kimberle wants to kill herself and she think no one will even care if she does. The first two songs on my playlist have lyrics to portray exactly how she is feeling.

Save Me” Nicki Minaj – “I drove for miles just to find you and find myself, all these screams all these voices in my head, You gave me strength gave me hope for a lifetime, I never was satisfied. This time won’t you save me, Baby I can feel myself giving up”

Suicidal Thoughts” The Notorious B.I.G. – “I swear to God I want to just slit my wrists and end this bullsh*t…Suicide’s on my f*ckin mind, I wanna leave I swear to God I feel like death is f*ckin callin me”

The next songs on the playlist “Stay” and “How to Save a Life” is a message that could have been from her friend when she asked her to help keep her from killing herself.

Stay” Rihanna- “It’s not much of a life you’re living, It’s not something you take, it’s given

How to Save a Life” The Fray – “Where did I go wrong? I lost a friend somewhere along in the bitterness, And I would have stayed up with you all night, Had I known how to save a life.”

The last song on the playlist is a motvational song to help Kimberle come out of her dark place.

Skyscraper” Demi Lovato– “Do you have to make feel like there is nothing left of me, You can take everything I have, You can break everything I am, Like I’m made of glass, Like I’m made of paper, Go on and try to tear me down I will be rising from the ground, Like a skyscraper

Pandora’s Box, by Arturo Arias

In Pandora’s box Juan goes shopping for new clothes because he wants to transition to a female. He states when he was tired after shopping, “I went into a deep, bottomless sleep, dreaming that it was all a dream and I’d wake up as Juan again, plain Juan, the familiar shapes and hairs outlining my body. But no, even after I woke up, I was still Juanita.”

He relates to Caitlyn Jenner, formerly Bruce Jenner, who struggled with identity since age 8 until finally transitioning from male to female at age 65.

“In a simple way, there was always this woman that lived inside of me. But I lived my life as Bruce. But she was always there, she was always present. I just finally got to the point in life where, it’s time for her to live.”CAITLYN JENNER https://www.wbur.org/hereandnow/2017/04/24/caitlyn-jenner

This image may contain Caitlyn Jenner Clothing Apparel Human Person and Magazine

Dulce Pinzón and Graciela Iturbide

Estados Unidos,1999

The first photo is a diorama of a desert like area. We see a vast plain of sand and few grass and trees. It’s an open pasture, most of the vegetation we see is towards the back. Similar to the second photos Estados Unidos 1999, there are palm trees towards the back of the picture. We see an open seawater. This reminds me of the Lord is my Shepard “He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.” Green pastures and still waters represent peace and rest.

MEXICAN HEAVEN

Mexican Heaven by José Olivarez

All of the Mexicans Sneak into heaven.

St Peter has their names on the list,

but the Mexicans haven’t trusted a list

since Ronald Reagan was president.

It is important to include this poem in this blog post because our current President is proof that America still sees immigrants as a threat to their society. “Mexicans” are a representation of immigration. U.S. President try to keep them out, ie: Trump wanting to build a wall.

This is a trailer of the 1939 movie Code of the Secret Service. This movie is starring Ronald Reagan who served as the 40th president of the United States.
Ronald Reagan as Brass Bancroft in 1939 film Secret Service of the Air. n this movie smugglers illegally transport Mexicans to the U.S. This movie is starring Ronald Reagan who served as the 40th president of the United States.

Porcupine Love

Alternative ending…

When I get home I will set up a new e-mail account and an instant
messaging system so that I can fuck Antenita electronically, like she
wants. I will email her a place to meet up where we can sit and catch up and tell each other how our lives have been miserable without each other. We will rekindle our love. We will fuck all we want, love all we want and live all we want.

One day I received an email from my dear Antenita. I opened it and began to read, suddenly realizing it was not meant for me. She is sending an email to another love. She accidentally sent it to me. Does she know that I know?They have arranged to meet. She messages this beautiful woman she calls who is in love with her. How does she know she is in love with you? She felt you already. Emotionally. Physically. She loves her. And loves me too? I am confused. I thought she was my Porcupine love. I don’t know what I am to her anymore. I am lost. I am afraid of how this will end.

Recent Posts Across the Commons

• Profile picture of Anthony Picciano

Trump Media lost $327.6 million in the first quarter of the year on revenue of just $770,500. Courtesy of The Associated Press. Dear Commons Community, Trump Media & Technology Group (DJT), the parent company of Donald Trump’s T […]

• Profile picture of Anthony Picciano

David Leonhardt: Bipartisanship and Neopopulism in Washington! Sources: U.S. House of Representatives; U.S. Senate.  By Ashley Wu. Dear Commons Community, The New York Times senior writer, David […]

• Profile picture of Raymond Bennett

IntroductionThe first thing to do in order to post is to try login in or make a new Commons account. Be sure to be an author on the site. So after […]

• Profile picture of Ashley Mota

Rhetorical Analysis Essay Rhetorical Analysis Essay By AshleyRead More »

• Profile picture of Mahir Shahriar

Self-Assessment EssayMahir Shahriar ENGL 21007 Writing For Engineering Professor Sara Jacobson Self-Assessment Essay Coming into this class, I didn’t have high expectations for myself. I had always struggled with writing classes ever since elementary school, and I had not ever improved in them. This was mainly due to my mindset. I’ve always operated in the manner that there was always one right answer and that other answers were wrong. In writing classes, there was no one right answer. These classes rode the fine line between right and wrong, forcing you to create an answer that could be considered neither right nor wrong which you would have to prove and defend. I asked some of my upperclassmen friends who also took Writing For Engineering, and they all told me that this class was very light, so I came into this class with high hopes that it wouldn’t be a struggle like my previous English classes. However, this class proved to be more difficult than I could have thought, but as a result, I grew a lot. This class demanded higher-quality writing than I had ever done. Throughout the semester, we were reminded of a few course learning objectives that we were tasked to meet as well as we could.  One of the course learning objectives we aimed to meet was to be able to acknowledge my own and others’ range of linguistic differences as resources and draw on those resources to develop a rhetorical sensibility. I believe that I was able to meet this course learning objective. I believe this was most apparent during the Group Engineering Proposal Essay. In that essay, we worked together with our group to construct one piece of writing which was the culmination of our brainstorming, designing, and modeling. My group made an automatic sewing repair machine, a sewing machine that can fix holes in clothing and repair them without any user work. While this assignment had some setbacks with group members, ultimately my remaining group member and I had to work together to produce one piece of writing, where both our writing styles would clash. We needed to bring our writing styles together and write in harmony to create a cohesive and comprehensive proposal essay, which I believe we were able to do. The next course learning objective we were tasked with meeting was to enhance strategies for reading, drafting, revising, editing, and self-assessment. I believe that I have not met this course objective. Drafting, revising, and editing were concepts that were quite foreign to me. While I have done them in the past and last semester in Freshman Composition, I did not excel in them. From an early age, I was always told that drafting and revising was a waste of time. This was the mindset that I always had. Any revising that I would do would happen while I was writing and right after I was done when I would read the entire piece of writing in its entirety to see if it flowed well together. I always thought of drafting as a way to roughly get your ideas onto the paper, but I would have those ideas in my head, so I never thought I needed to. However, this class often required that I write the first drafts of assignments, and I never did well on the first drafts. I often couldn’t write a first draft as when I started writing, I just wanted to write the entire assignment. The first drafts that I would often write would be the beginning portion of what would eventually become my final submission, and that did not play out well for my grade as that was not the purpose of the first draft. While I did not fully utilize first drafts, I have come to understand their importance as I saw that many of my peers were able to write much higher quality final drafts if they had made a first draft. Unfortunately, this course objective was not one I was able to meet.  The next course objective was to be able to negotiate my own writing goals and audience expectations regarding conventions of genre, medium, and rhetorical situation. I believe that I was able to do this fairly well. My main goal with writing was always just to improve. I’ve always struggled in writing so I came into each assignment for it to be better than the last assignment. The quality of each piece would then be gauged by you, Professor Jacobson, and the grade would tell me how well I did, using that grade along with my own opinion on the writing, I could assess whether I believed I improved or not. The reason I also took into account my own opinion is because there were assignments where I believed I had lower quality writing but received an equal or higher grade than the last. One such example was the Engineering Proposal Essay compared to the Technical description. While I put so much more effort into my portion of the Engineering Proposal Essay, I believe it to be of inferior quality compared to that of my Technical Description, which received an equal grade for both.  The next course learning objective was to develop and engage in the collaborative and social aspects of writing processes. This is a course learning objective that I believe I sufficiently met during the process of the Group Engineering Proposal Project. This essay and project was a group assignment, one where the writing portion would be split between group members, meaning we had to work together to mesh out the writing. We were able to do this efficiently by scheduling meet-ups and online calls through Discord to monitor each other progress in our respective components of the physical project and the writing portion when writing it together.  The next course learning objective to work on was to engage in genre analysis and multimodal composing to explore effective writing across disciplinary contexts and beyond. I sufficiently was able to do this during both the Technical Description and Group Engineering Proposal Essay where in both, I made use of pictures and diagrams for the items that I was writing about in both assignments. Also, in the process of doing both those assignments, I had to engage in the analysis of different when I had to utilize so many different forms of media for research, such as lab reports, articles, videos, essays, and blogs.  Another course objective we were tasked with was to formulate and articulate a stance through and in my writing. I don’t believe I did a good job at this or even did this at all. For most of my writing, I remained very neutral and tried to present only facts from an outsider’s perspective to get the best of both sides, such as in the Technical Description, where I wanted to give my own opinions and biases about keyboards, but settled only to use widely accepted facts from different websites and articles. One place I could have done this was during the Engineering Proposal Essay, where we had to pitch our idea of an automatic repair sewing machine, ultimately pushing our ideas and beliefs onto the potential sponsor for our product, although I don’t consider that a stance on something.  The last course objectives were to practice using various library resources, online databases, and the Internet to locate sources appropriate to your writing projects and to strengthen your source use practices (including evaluating, integrating, quoting, paraphrasing, summarizing, synthesizing, analyzing, and citing sources). These were all things that we had to do over the entire semester for all the major assignments, but it became much more important during the Technical Description, as that’s where our first big research assignment came from. I believe I met this objective as over the Technical Description and the Engineering Proposal Essay, I did many hours of research and was able to properly use and cite them in those pieces of writing.  While I met most of the course objectives, the answer to the overarching question “What is writing?” still eluded me. Quite frankly, I think this is a question I can never get a concrete answer to. Our definition of writing will always evolve every time we write. Heck, I think it’s evolving as I write this assignment, this sentence even. However, this class had me spend a significant amount of time writing compared to other classes, which allowed me to think of what I think writing is. Before, my interpretation of writing was that it was merely a written form of communication. However, at this point, with all the writing for this class done, my answer to the question “What is writing?”, is merely a more complex form of written communication. While I still believe that writing is at heart, communication that is simply recorded, the style, form, and context of that writing greatly affects how the information is conveyed. This was made very clear to me when working on anything that required research. Lab reports were best at delivering pure hard data, while websites and blogs were best at giving general knowledge and opinions. Perhaps the next time I write and ponder this question, my answer will be different. But, that’s just how things are, as we learn, our thoughts change. Perhaps, I may never reach the concrete, universally-true answer that I want for that question, but that is okay.  References CUNY Academic Commons. CUNY Academic Commons Site Wide Activity RSS. (n.d.). https://engine210.commons.gc.cu […] “Self-Assessment Essay”

• Profile picture of Mahir Shahriar

Group Engineering Project Self-ReflectionGroup Engineering Proposal Self-Reflection Essay  Mahir Shahriar Writing For Engineering 21007 Prof. Sara Jacobson This project was by far one of the hardest assignments in this class, and one of the worst experiences I have had working in a group. Initially, my group started with 4 members: Alex, Mohammed, Majid, and myself. Initially, during the first two days of the brainstorming process in class, we all showed up and gave our input. We were just throwing our heads together like cavemen in the stone age trying to come up with an idea, but we couldn’t seem to come to a consensus about anything. We then came up with an industry that we wanted to fix, and we agreed on education. Alex, Majid, and Mohammed were thinking of a hologram-type invention to be used in classrooms to help students better visualize the material, and this product could also be used in engineering firms to preview a live model. While this was a good idea, I protested it because of the approach that my group wanted to take with it. They planned out the research time and I was appalled that they had decided that we do almost 40 hours of research each during the break. That’s almost like having a full-time job just researching how the hologram would work, giving us zero time over the break to actually work on the essay, the models, the pictures, the logistics of how this item would bring profit, or the presentation that we were meant to give to the class. This coupled with the things that Majid wanted us to research for this project did not actually need to be looked into, such as spending a combined 38 hours between us researching photons and light particles. That was a ludicrous amount of time spent on researching a very big concept that the hologram barely utilizes. I also had prior plans where I would not be in New York during the break, which meant that I did not have the time to put that amount of time into research. I protested that decision and my group came to agree with me. However, while we were still in our brainstorming phase, Majid disappeared. He stopped coming to class, and all attempts to contact him failed. This was a large amount of work that we now had to cover, but Alex, Mohammed, and I had properly split the work for our new idea, an automatic sewing machine. We developed a timeline in which we wanted parts of the project done and were all active in the group chat. I must admit here, that I was not being the best group member. During the break, I had gotten sick and was unable to get my research in with the group at the proper time, and I was not properly communicating with my group about this issue. Looking back at it now, I don’t know why I didn’t tell them that I was unable to complete that research and asked for help from one of them to get that research done at the right time. As the end of the break drew closer, Mohammed and I sent our research to the group chat. This is when we noticed that Alex stopped talking in the group chat and did not submit his portion of the research. Any further attempts to reach him were unsuccessful and we realized a couple of days before the project was due that we had lost another member. Losing Alex was very impactful as he had a key part in researching the scanner and working on the modeling and CADing along with the cost + materials, and intended market. Mohammed and I had to rush to fill up that void but ultimately we were not able to finish the essay on time. Despite all the setbacks and problems, I learned a lot about group work as I now know I need to be more vocal about my opinions and be able to […] “Group Engineering Project Self-Reflection”

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International