Home » News » Hex Poem Blog #2

Hex Poem Blog #2

Group #2

Josabeth Simisterra, Brianna Gonzalez, Maya Pacheco-Berger

Poem

Hex poem to colonizers, recolonizers, and haters

I hope you feel the sting of 

platano poppin’ oil

I hope when you try to jump back,

one drop jumps a second quicker onto your hand

and i hope when you bite into it, thinking the sting was worth it,

you realize you didn’t let the platano ripen enough

and it ain’t even that sweet

just like you.

Response

When reading this poem I first thought it would have a closer connection to brujeria/witchcraft because of the wording of hex, which would typically be used on one you wanted to get revenge on or spite them. I think it’s interesting how of all things the author wished that they wished for them to feel the sting of oil and taste unripe platano. It is so specific, when I was reading I was expecting it to hope they live horrid lives of misery because of the trouble they caused however it was only limited to one food. I think it’s funny because this happened to my sister last week, she forgot to check the ripeness and my mother was so sad taking a bite of each one hoping there was at least one piece that could be salvaged. I understand how sad it is not getting the flavor you want but from the outside perspective of one’s whose culture has been taken and dragged through the mud for profit it is amusing to watch people want to be apart of your culture so badly yet failing so miserably. While it is not a nice thing to wish on people a hex is in no way supposed to be a nice thing, it is in fact it’s supposed to torment your life something that’s always quite off but you can never really figure it out.   

Video: Platanos Maduros

This is an instructional video on how to make platano maduro. This is relevant to the poem because it adds visuals to what the poem describes. The oil that pops and splashes causing to sometimes burn people. Platano Maduro is so special to latin culture and it is included in many latin dishes.

Drawing

This is a drawing of a non-latinx person, specifically a colonizer getting burnt by the popping oil of the platano maduro.

Recent Posts Across the Commons

Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International